The Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts

1914

The Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts was originally established in 1914 within the Süleymaniye Mosque complex under the name of Evkâf-ı İslâmiyye Müzesi (Museum of Islamic Foundations). Its purpose was to prevent the smuggling of precious artifacts from the Ottoman Empire at a time when antiquities were gaining in value and appreciation. For this reason, precious works were brought to İstanbul from all over the Empire. The museum houses works of art from the Seljuk, Safavid, and Ottoman periods. In addition, important artifacts from dervish lodges and cells that were closed by law in 1925 were also brought here. The museum acquired its current name in 1926. It was moved to the İbrahim Pasha Palace on Sultan Ahmed square in 1983. Its current collections include approximately 40,000 items.



Contact

Sultanahmet Mh., Meydanı Sok. No:46, 34122 İstanbul
T: 90 212 518 1805
Map